Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Baked Huli Huli Wings


It's that time of the year when everyone's having barbecues and picnics. What's a better way to enjoy a hot summer day than with some delicious Huli Huli Wings? The word "huli" is a Hawaiian term for to flip over; rotisserie, or simply barbecue. I learned this recipe in culinary school at Johnson & Wales from my Meat Cutting teacher. It was a class where you're in a walk in freezer for 7 hours fabricating meat (torture, I know). It was so cold in there that some people had to wear an extra pair of pants under their slacks to keep warm. But I learned a lot about the different parts of some animals. We worked on lamb, chicken, cows, and even a whole pig was brought into the classroom once.  Anyways, this recipe is very easy to make and all the ingredients only came up to about $20 at my local Harris Teeter.

You will need: 
  • 25 Chicken Wings
  • 1 cup Pineapple Juice (I bought a can of pineapple chunks, used the juice and ate the rest as a snack)
  • A small container of soy sauce
  • Light Brown Sugar 
  • Ginger
  • Garlic
  • 1 Lemon 

First, you will need to mince your garlic, lemon zest, and ginger into fine pieces. In a small bowl, mix together the marinade until it's a thick consistency and add the chicken. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight. 
Preheat your oven to 450 and bake for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of your wings is at 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Let sit for 5 minutes and serve! This recipe will feed a family of 4. I personally like to eat wings with French fries and bleu cheese. But I'm just an ex waitress from Buffalo Wild Wings so what do I know, right? If you would like to try this recipe at home, please share it on Instagram with the hashtag #thesilvercities. I'd love to see how they all come out. 

3 comments:

  1. I love making wings for summertime BBQs! doing a jalapeƱo and garlic mix and rubbing it into the chicken with salt and pepper is so easy and good too


    http://heyprettything.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that sounds so yummy! I must give that a try someday. You have a beautiful blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed you you're so pretty omg

    ReplyDelete